International Office

Pension insurance for researchers

Researchers employed at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum usually pay contributions to the German pension insurance (Deutsche Rentenversicherung - DRV). Furthermore, the collective agreement in the public sector provides for an additional company pension insurance.

German pension insurance

Contributions to the statutory pension insurance are deducted directly from the employee's gross salary. Generally, the employer pays half of the pension insurance contributions and the employee pays the other half.
The general qualifying period for pension entitlement is five years. If you have been employed for less than five years, you can either apply for a refund of contributions or the contribution periods can be credited in your home country. What applies in your case depends on social security agreements between Germany and your home country.
Before you leave Germany, it is advisable to contact the German Pension Insurance, to register your new address and request an account clarification.

Occupational pension scheme (VBL)

The Pension Institution of the Federal Republic and the Federal States (Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder - VBL) is a supplementary pension fund for employees in the public sector. It offers two pension insurance options for academic staff with temporary employment contracts: VBLKlassik or VBLExtra.
Employees of Ruhr University are registered with the VBL. You will receive an application form alongside your employment contract, with which you can be exempted from paying contributions (VBLExtra). You need to opt out in the first two months of your employment relationship.

Here you will find information pertaining to employment contracts, forms, salary, taxes as well as labour laws.

Here we have compiled information on the formalities, as well as checklists to assist in your return home.

Welcome Centre Fenster außen
Welcome Centre
Front page
To top