International Office

Frequently Asked Questions - Study Grant

What does "refugee background" mean?

The scholarship is aimed at students who have a residence title as a refugee in Germany:

  • Persons with BÜMA/Ankunftsnachweis (notification of asylum application before application according to §63a AsylG).
  • Asylum seekers (ongoing procedure - residence permit according to §55 AsylG)
  • People with tolerated status (Temporary suspension of deportation Duldung acc. §60a AufenthG)
  • People entitled to asylum according to Art. 16a GG/ GFK (residence according to §25 Abs. 1 AufenthG)
  • Recognized refugees according to § 3 AsylG (residence according to §25 Abs.2 S.1/1. AufenthG)
  • Subsidiary protection beneficiaries according to § 4 AsylG (residence according to §25 Abs.2 S.1/2. AufenthG)
  • Persons with protection against deportation according to § 60 Abs. 5 und 7 AufenthG (residence according to §25 Abs.3 AufenthG)
  • Persons with residence according to § 22 sentences 1 and 2, §23 paragraph 1, 2 and 4, § 24 and § 25 paragraph 5 AufenthG
  • Family members (parents, children, spouses) of recognized persons entitled to asylum, refugees according to the Geneva Convention and persons entitled to subsidiary protection, if they can additionally prove the residence title of the original beneficiary (the family member who entered the country first) according to §29 paragraph 2, §30, §31, §32, §34 paragraphs 1 and 2 and §36 AufenthG
  • Persons with Fiktionsbescheinigung according to §81 Abs. 3 and 4 AufenthG

I am a doctoral student/PhD student. Can I apply?

No. Our call for applications is exclusively aimed at international students with a refugee background in undergraduate (bachelor's degree, state examination) and master's degree programs. Doctoral/PhD students should contact the Research School if they have any questions regarding funding.

I am an exchange student. Can I apply?

No. Our call for applications is aimed exclusively at international students with a refugee background in undergraduate (Bachelor's degree, state examination) and Master's degree programs who complete their entire studies at RUB and obtain their degree here.

I will start my studies at RUB in the upcoming semester and will therefore be in my first semester during the grant period. Can I apply?

No. Our call for applications is aimed exclusively at international degree seeking students with a refugee background who are already in their second or higher semester. If you are starting your studies for the next semester, you can apply for the University Entrance Scholarship.

Are the study scholarships offered every semester?

Yes, as long as the DAAD provides us with the funds. Applications can usually be submitted in January and July. Please check our homepage regularly for the most up-to-date information:

I am already receiving the Study Grant, but the grant period ends this semester. May I reapply?

Yes, it is possible to reapply for the Study Grant. You may receive the study scholarship for a total of 36 months (i.e. three award periods).

May I apply for other scholarships at the same time?

Yes. If you wish to apply or have already applied for scholarships from other organizations, you must indicate this on the application form.

Can I apply for other scholarships of the International Office at the same time?

No. You can only apply for one scholarship of the International Office.

Can I receive another scholarship at the same time?

Yes. The study grant in combination with another scholarship may not exceed a monthly amount of 861€.

I receive BAföG. Does this affect the amount of the scholarship?

Yes. If you receive BAföG, the monthly funding amount is 300€. If you do not receive BAföG, we can support you with 450€ monthly. You must inform us immediately of any changes in your BAföG entitlement during the grant period.

Who is allowed to write the letter of recommendation for me?

The letter of recommendation should be written by a university lecturer at the RUB, regardless of the academic title of the author. The letter of recommendation must not be older than 3 months. You can find more tips in our Moodle-Course.

What should the letter of recommendation include?

It would be ideal if your university teacher evaluates your academic achievements and, if possible, reports something about your personal situation in Germany (e.g. social commitment, etc.). In our Moodle course you will find a form that you can send to the issuing person. The letter of recommendation must not be older than 3 months.

Is a letter of recommendation a mandatory document and who receives the letter?

The letter of recommendation is mandatory. Without a letter of recommendation, your application is incomplete and cannot be considered. The letter of recommendation can be sent directly to as a PDF by the person writing it.

What is a Transcript of Records?

It is an overview of your grades in your current program of study. You can obtain this overview via eCampus or FlexNow (depending on your degree program). If you have any questions about this, you can contact your responsible examination office.

Why do I have to submit my bank statements?

The scholarship is primarily aimed at students who are dependent on financial support during their studies. In order to verify this, the selection committee needs insight into your financial situation.

What is a letter of motivation and how do I write it?

In the motivation letter you have the opportunity to introduce yourself to the selection committee and explain why you are the right person for the scholarship. The letter of motivation should be around one page. You can find more tips in our Moodle-Course.

Which activities count as social or volunteer work?

If you are active in a association or organization and support other people, environmental protection, nature conservation or similar, you can attach proof of your commitment to the application. If you do this without being active in an organization (e.g. regular accompaniment of relatives or acquaintances during visits to the authorities as a translator:in), then you can use the form "Proof: social commitment". You can find this in our Moodle-Course. It should only be about your current engagement.

If you have further questions, please contact

Rebekka Kirsch,

To top