International Office
Flaggen RUB
Flaggen der RUB, Deutschland, NRW und EU

Step 5: Plan your entry

After receiving your admission letter, you can start planning your entry into Germany.


After the admission procedure has been completed, you will receive word of your admission in the Infoportal, which you must accept within the specified period. Rejection notices will also be made available in the Infoportal after the admission procedure has been completed.

To the infoportal

With your admission, you can apply for a visa for your study stay, if necessary. Different visa and entry regulations for Germany apply to international students.

Entry regulations and visa

Before traveling to Germany, you should first inform yourself about the entry requirements that apply to you.

Citizens of EU member states, the European Economic Area and Switzerland

Citizens of member states of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland generally do not require an entry visa. An identity card is sufficient for entry.

If you plan to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must report to the City Administration Office (Bürgerbüro) and obtain a certificate of freedom of mobility or a residence permit for citizens of the Swiss Confederation.

You should also find out about the recognition of your health insurance in advance:

More information on health insurance

Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea and USA:

Citizens of these countries do not need a visa for entry. They only need a passport for entry.

However, for longer stays of more than three months and to take up gainful employment, you need a residence permit, which you can apply for after entering Germany.

To apply for the residence permit, you will then need to provide proof of sufficient financing for your studies and health insurance:

information on the proof of financial resources

more information on health insurance

Non-EU citizens

If you plan to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must apply for a national visa for Germany in your home country or country of residence at the German embassy or consulate for Germany (D visa). Please note that this also applies if you already reside in another state of the European Union.

Please consider and complete the visa application prior to your departure - ideally as soon as you have received admission. In some cases, it is also possible to make an appointment in advance at the respective embassy or consulate.

On the homepage of the respective embassy or consulate you will find information regarding the documents needed. In any case, you will need:

  • Admission to a German university
  • Documentation proving the financing of your living expenses during your studies

information on the proof of financial resources

You should also find out about health insurance in Germany in advance:

more information on health insurance

Entry to Germany with a "visitor or tourist visa" (Schengen visa category "C" valid for 90 days) is not suitable for a study stay! It can neither be changed into a residence title for study purposes nor extended. You will need to then travel back to your country of origin at your own expense and apply for the applicable visa.

The national visa of category "D" also entitles the holder to a short stay in other Schengen states. The national visa is usually issued for a period of 90 days. After entering the country, you must apply for a residence permit at the local foreigners' office.

Step-by-Step guide

Internetseite Bewerbungsportal der RUB

Apply online via the the Admissions Office's application portal.

Studierende am PC

You can enrol with the admission letter.

Your path to studying
Return to overview
To top