International Office
Campusplan RUB Menschen
Campusplan RUB

Step 3: Arriving and orientation

Before the course starts, there is still a lot to do. Here you will find helpful information and tips for your start in Bochum.

Your first contact is your German course provider. The staff of your German course provider will be happy to provide you with information on the following topics:

  • Placement test/entrance exam
  • Starting a German course
  • Enrolment
  • Certificates of attendance (e.g. for visa applications, holiday certificates)
  • Course fees and costs
  • Tickets for public transport

Contact German course provider

Questions regarding the aforementioned topics can be addressed to your course provider directly (i.e. for the courses presented here, the DaF, Interculturas or the Studienkolleg):

To the department German as a Foreign Language

To Interculturas

To Studienkolleg Bochum

City registration

In Germany, all persons staying longer than three months must register with the City Administration Office (Bürgerbüro) of the city in which they live.

Students from non-EU countries who move to Bochum must register with the city of Bochum before they can apply for a residence permit at the foreigners' office. Other German cities may recognise different procedures, please inform yourself in advance.

You should register with the city within two weeks of your move (also within Germany). However, it is also sufficient if you make the appointment at the City Administration Office within two weeks!

Book an appointment online

Please bring the following documents:

  • Landlord's certificate (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) - this is not the rental agreement!
  • Passport or identity card
  • Visa with entry stamp
  • Filled out and signed form

After the city registration is completed, you'll receive two letters to your German address:

  • Tax identification number from the tax office

    • Keep this letter safe in case you want to work in Germany.

  • Media license fee

    • The media license fee finances the radio, television and online services of ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio. The contribution amounts to approximately €51 every three months (as of 2021).

    • Every household in Germany must pay the media license fee. If you live in a shared flat, you can also share the fee with your flatmates.

Financing and work allowance

For citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, there are no work restrictions linked to your residence.

Citizens from all other non-EU countries must provide proof of financing when applying for a visa or residence. Citizens of this category are allowed to work during the holidays between two German courses or a German course and a language test.

You can find more information here:


Step-by-Step guide

Studierender liest im Hörsaal in einem Heft

Here you can find important information about the German courses for university preparation offered by the Department of German as a Foreign Language (DaF) at the RUB and two other providers.

Flaggen der RUB, Deutschland, NRW und EU

Once you have been admitted to a German course, you can plan your entry into Germany.

To top