As of January 1, 2021, you must provide evidence of €861 per month / €10,332 per year (corresponding to the amount of the BAföG maximum funding rate).
Proof of funding is possible by:
- the opening of a blocked account with the corresponding amount
- scholarships that are largely provided using German funds
- a letter of commitment (Verfplichtungserklärung) from a person registered in Germany
- the deposit of a bank guarantee, to be renewed annually, with a financial institution in Germany
- if applicable, a statement of the parents' income and financial circumstances in the home country
- a part-time job
A combination of several sources of funding is also possible.