International Office

Financial proof

In order to apply for or extend an entry visa or a residence title for Germany, you need proof of financial resources. This proves that you have sufficient financial resources to finance your stay in Germany.

Non-EU citizens

From January 1, 2023 on, you must provide evidence of €934 per month / €11,208 per year (corresponding to the amount of the BAföG maximum funding rate).

Proof of funding is possible by:

  • the opening of a blocked account with the corresponding amount
  • scholarships that are largely provided using German funds
  • a letter of commitment (Verpflichtungserklärung) from a person registered in Germany
  • the deposit of a bank guarantee, to be renewed annually, with a financial institution in Germany
  • if applicable, a statement of the parents' income and financial circumstances in the home country
  • a part-time job

A combination of several sources of funding is also possible.

Citizens of EU member states, EEA and Switzerland

EU students only have to provide credible evidence of sufficient funding, not proof. This can usually be done when registering at the citizens' office.

To top