International Office
Bildliche beispielhafte Darstellung eines Ausrufezeichens.
Information about Corona
Stay informed!
Flaggen RUB
Flaggen der RUB, Deutschland, NRW und EU

Step 2: Plan your entry

Once you have been admitted to a German course, you can start planning your entry into Germany.

Before traveling to Germany, you should first inform yourself about the entry requirements that apply to you.

Citizens of EU member states, the European Economic Area and Switzerland

Citizens of member states of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland generally do not require an entry visa. An identity card is sufficient for entry.

If you plan to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must report to the City Administration Office (Bürgerbüro) and obtain a certificate of freedom of mobility or a residence permit for citizens of the Swiss Confederation.

You should also find out about the recognition of your health insurance in advance:

Information on Health Insurance

Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Korea and the USA

Citizens of these countries do not need a visa for entry. They only need a passport for entry.

However, for longer stays of more than three months and to take up gainful employment, you need a residence permit, which you can apply for after entering Germany.

To apply for the residence title, you will then need to provide proof of sufficient financing for your studies and health insurance:

information on the proof of financial resources

Information on health insurance

Non-EU citizens

If you are planning to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must apply for a national visa in your home country or country of residence at the German embassy or consulate for Germany (D-visa). Please note that this also applies if you already reside in another state of the European Union.

Please consider and complete the visa application prior to your departure - ideally as soon as you have received the approval. In some cases, it is also possible to make an appointment in advance at the respective embassy or consulate.

On the homepage of the respective embassy or consulate you will find information regarding the documents required. In any case, you will need:

  • Admission to the language course at the university
  • Documentation proving the financing of your living expenses during your studies

information on the proof of financial resources

You should also find out about health insurance in Germany in advance:

Information on health insurance

Entry to Germany with a "visitor or tourist visa" (Schengen visa category "C" valid for 90 days) is not suitable for a study stay! It can neither be changed into a residence title for study purposes nor extended. You will need to then travel back to your country of origin at your own expense and apply for the applicable visa.

The national visa of category "D" also entitles the holder to a short stay in other Schengen states. The national visa is usually issued for a period of 90 days. After entering the country, you must apply for a residence permit based on the visa at the local foreigners' office.

Step-by-Step guide

Campusplan RUB

Here we provide you with helpful information and tips for your stay.

Studierender liest im Hörsaal in einem Heft

Here you can find important information about the German courses for university preparation offered by the Department of German as a Foreign Language (DaF) at the RUB and two other providers.

To top