EU Freedom of Movement (EU Freizügigkeit)

As EU citizens, all nationals of the Member States of the European Union have the right to move freely within the European Union and to enter and reside in any EU Member State. Furthermore, EU citizens have the right to engage in economic activity in every other Member State under the same conditions as nationals of that Member State, i.e. to be employed or self-employed and to offer and receive services. It is required to hold a valid identity card or passport.

Guide for International Researchers (PDF)   (9.7 MB)

Source: Federeal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

Please note that the information provided by the Welcome Centre is not legally binding and is not intended to replace or substitute for information provided by professional experts for each individual topic.
We recommend you to also consult the diplomatic mission or your local Foreign Citizens’ Office for more detailed information on your individual case.

Welcome Centre

Application for the Freedom of Movement Certificate   (31.1 kB)



University Administration (UV)
Room 0/63