Visit lasting up to 3 Months

If your research period in Germany is not scheduled to last longer than 90 days in a sixth month period, a Schengen Visa will usually be all you need to enter the country (C Visa). However you should bear in mind that Schengen Visas cannot be extended beyond the three month period, nor can they be reassigned for other purposes. You will have to leave Germany at the end of the three months at the latest.

Schengen Visa

In order to obtain a Schengen Visa you have to prove you will be able to support yourself financially during your stay in Germany. For all Schengen countries there is also an obligation to provide evidence of travel health insurance cover amounting to at least €30,000. Please be sure to state “scientific work” or “research” as the purpose of your stay when completing the application for the Schengen Visa. It entitles you to move freely between and stay in any of the so-called Schengen States, i.e. the states that have signed the Schengen Agreement.

Visa exemptions for short visits

Citizens of some countries are allowed to enter Germany for visits lasting up to three months without a visa. You can find a list of these countries (table of countries whose citizens require/do not require visas to enter Germany) on the Federal Foreign Office website. However, please note that you will not be able to apply for a residence permit for a longer stay once you have entered Germany, and you will have to leave the country after three months at the latest. If you are planning a longer stay, you need to apply for a German visa which will allow you to remain in the country for a longer period of time. This must be applied for while you are still in your home country or current country of residence.


Everyone who moves into a house or flat in Germany is obligated to register. You and any accompanying family members will have to register with the Resident Registration Office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”) responsible for the area in which you live within two weeks of entering the country.

Concerning registration with the Resident Registration Office. Read more here

Please find further information in chapter 6 of our guide:

Guide for International Researchers (PDF)   (9.7 MB)

Welcome Centre


"Your Europe - Advice"

Advice service from the European Commission on issues concerning EU law in the sreas of everyday life, work and travel in the EU.

The Schengen States:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.



University Administration (UV)
Room 0/63