Extension of Residence Permit

You need to apply for a residence permit at your local Foreign Citizens’ Office before your entry visa runs out. Citizens of Australia, Israel, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the USA, who arrived without a visa and are planning to stay in Germany for a longer period of time, also need to apply for a residence permit within three months of entering the country.

We advise you to submit your application as soon as possible (approx. 8-10 weeks before your visa is due to expire). You usually have to present the following documents at the Foreign Citizens’ Office:

  • Completed application for a residence permit (Form)
  • Valid passport or ID card (please ensure that this is not due to expire until at least three months after you will end your stay)
  • Biometric passport photo (please note the requirements set out by the Federal Foreign Office)
  • Fellowship award letter, employment contract or hosting agreement with the university (stating the amount of the monthly fellowship or salary as proof that you can support yourself financially)
  • Letter of invitation from your host faculty (in German)
  • Proof of health insurance cover that is valid in Germany

  • For PhD students: current certificate of enrollment
  • For children: certified German or English translations of birth certificates
  • For spouses: declaration of marital cohabitation (Form)
  • For children: current school enrolment certificate (for the German school they will attend)
  • Registration certificate from the Resident Registration Office
  • Charges: a maximum of €110 for the original permit, €93 for extensions, €90 for changes to the purpose of stay (children only pay half of the standard fees)
  • Your height in metres and centimetres (please check measurements beforehand and have the converted figures at hand)

Please find further information regarding your residence permit in chapter 6 of our guide:

Guide for International Researchers (PDF)   (9.7 MB)

Source: passages taken from EURAXESS partly translated by Dr. Lynda Lich-Knight, ResearchComm Ltd.

Temporary Residence Permit (Fiktionsbescheinigung)

It takes approx. 4-8 weeks for your electronic residence permit to be issued, and you will receive this in card format. If your current residence permit is due to run out during this period of time, it is necessary that you receive a temporary residence permit. This is only a temporary document to replace your expired permit until your new electronic residence permit arrives.

There are three different types of temporary residence permit. These are known as ‘Duldungsfiktion’, ‘Erlaubnisfiktion’ und ‘Fortbestandsfiktion’.

If you have applied to extend your residence permit well enough in advance and are now waiting for your card, you will usually receive a ‘Fortbestandsfiktion’ (§81.4), as your old residence permit continues to exist until you receive the new card.

In principle, it is possible to travel with this type of temporary residence permit, and you are permitted to re-enter Germany at any time. Nevertheless, as long as you only possess a temporary residence permit, it is advisable to check with the diplomatic mission (embassy/consulate) of the country you will be visiting, to ensure you will be able to enter and leave the country without any problems.

Should you receive a ‘Duldungsfiktion’ or an ‘Erlaubnisfiktion’ (§81.3) for any particular reason, you are not permitted to travel with this permit. These types of temporary residence permit only allow you to prolong your stay in Germany.

The costs of issuing a temporary residence permit amount to €13 for adults and €10 for minors.

Please note that the information provided by the Welcome Centre is not legally binding and is not intended to replace or substitute for information provided by professional experts for each individual topic.
We recommend you to also consult the diplomatic mission or your local Foreign Citizens’ Office for more detailed information on your individual case.

Welcome Centre


  • Information about the electronic residence permit (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel, eAT) from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees

Appointments and support

The Welcome Centre offers international researchers the opportunity to have a student accompany them and their families to the various authorities to deal with the necessary formalities after arriving in Bochum and during their stay.


declaration on cohabitation   (407.4 kB)

Flyer eAT (English version)   (212.4 kB)

Foreigners' Office of the City of Bochum

Town Hall ("Rathaus")
Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-8
Opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday: 8 am - 3 pm
Thursday: 8 am - 4 pm
Friday: 8 am - 12 noon

You can also email your questions directly to the Foreign Citizens’ Office at:

If you do not need our team to accompany you, you can contact the Foreigners' Office directly by telephone and make an appointment.
Appointments will be issued over the phone during opening times. The number to call is 0049 234 910 1577



University Administration (UV)
Room 0/63

e-mail: welcome-centre@uv.rub.de