Submitting forms

Resident Registration Office

Everyone who moves into a house or flat in Germany is obligated to register. Therefore, you and any accompanying family members must register with the Resident Registration Office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”) responsible for the area you live in within two weeks of entering the country. At the Resident Registration Office you will be given a:

  • Registration certificate / “Meldebescheinigung”: This is a document confirming your registration. You will need this official proof of registration if you wish to extend your visa or open a bank account
  • “Steueridentifikationsnummer”: This is your tax ID and you will need it if you have an employment contract with a university and intend to draw a salary
  • Police clearance certificate (“Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis”): You require this if you have an employment contract with the university.

In Bochum

To be able to register with the Resident Registration Office you require:

  • Landlord Confirmation
  • Passport or equivalent document
  • For children: Birth Certificate in German translation
  • For married couples: Original marriage certificate with German translation (ISO 9 Standard)

Transferring / cancelling registration

If you move house during your stay you will have to go to the local Resident Registration Office in your new place of residence to transfer your registration and register your new address.
In this case you need the Landlord Confirmation
When you leave Germany at the end of your research period you must cancel your registration with the Resident Registration Office. In order to do that you need the deregistration form .

Partly translated by: Dr. Lynda Lich-Knight, ResearchComm Ltd.

Please find further information in chapter 6 of our guide:

Guide for International Researchers (PDF)   (9.7 MB)

Welcome Centre


If you need assistance when dealing with the formalities or would like someone to accompany you to the various authorities, you can call upon our team of student who will be pleased to help you.

Resident Registration Office at Uni-Center

Querenburger Höhe 256
44801 Bochum
Tel: +49 (0)234-910-1950
on appointment only

Resident Registration Office at the town hall

Rathaus Bochum
Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-6
44777 Bochum
Tel: +49 (0)234-910-1950
on appointment only



University Administration (UV)
Room 0/63