Before you leave

Before you leave Bochum, you should deal with some matters in good time. Apart from canceling your tenant agreement and every other contract and subscription, you are obligated to cancel your registration at the registration office ("Bürgerbüro"). In addition, you should check in time if you are obligated to make a tax declaration.

Furthermore, we recommend you to enquire with the Deutsche Rentenversicherung and with the Versorgungsanstalt für Bund und Länder (VBL) about possibly acquired pension entitlements. If you had a working contract with Ruhr-University Bochum, contributions were paid by default to the pension providers. Even if you were extempted from the VBL-Zusatzversicherung(supplementary insurance of VBL), you still acquired pension entitlements with VBL, since the employer payed contributions for you.
If you had a working contract with the Ruhr-University Bochum, you have the statutory right to receive a job reference that confirms your work at RUB for future applications. Please refer to your superior for this.
Should you require help in canceling your registration or in contacting the pension providers or the tax office, the employees of the Welcome Centre will gladly assist you.

Please find further information in chapter 12 of our guide:

Guide for International Researchers (PDF)   (9.7 MB)

Welcome Centre


"Your Europe - Advice"

Advice service from the European Commission on issues concerning EU law in the areas of everyday life, work and travel in the EU.

German Federal Pension Fund

Pieperstraße 14 - 28
44789 Bochum
Free hotline:
+49 (0)800 1000 480 80
Tel: +49 (0)234-304-0

Occupational Pension Scheme

VBL. Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder
Hans-Thoma-Straße 19
76133 Karlsruhe
Tel: +49 (0)721-93-98-93-1

Tax Office

Finanzamt Düsseldorf Süd
(Responsible for staff at Ruhr-Universität Bochum)
Kruppstr. 110-112, 40227 Düsseldorf
Andrea Waldecker
Phone: +49 (0)211 / 77983736

Find your pension

FindyourPension is a website containing concise information about the different pension institutions in the various European countries. It is dedicated to mobile researchers and ad-dresses the issues regarding your future pension claims within Europe.



University Administration (UV)
Room 0/63