International Office
Studierende und Lehre
Studierende in einem Seminar

Step 2: Prove German language skills

To study in German at the Ruhr-Universität, you will need very good German language skills.

German-language degree programmes

Most degree programmes at the Ruhr-Universität are held in German. Therefore, you must have sufficient knowledge of German and be able to prove it when applying. Only certain language certificates are accepted by the Ruhr-Universität Bochum.

Language certificates accepted by the Ruhr-Universität

  • TestDaF with at least 16 points within one examination
  • DSH (level 2 or 3)
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom - DSD - II
  • ZOP or Goethe-Zertifikat C2 of the Goethe-Institut
  • KDS or GDS of the Goethe-Institut
  • ÖSD-Sprachdiplom C1
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • Feststellungsprüfung (examination part German)

If you do not yet have the necessary German language skills, you can find out about specific German languages courses and apply here:

German language courses

English-language degree programmes

For Master's programmes taught in English, you will also need to provide a language certificate; please review the homepage of the programme you are interested in. You can find the respective page via the study programme overview.

Step-by-step guide

Studieninteressierte mit Buch zur Studien- und Berufswahl

You would like to study at Ruhr-Universität Bochum - but what? The university provides you with information and advice on making the right choice of study.

Studierende sitzt im Hörsaal und schreibt mit

To apply, your school-leaving certificate or university degree must be recognised by the Ruhr-Uni.

Your path to studying
To top