Ausländeramt Bochum 1

Temporary residence permit (Fiktionsbescheinigung)

As soon as you apply for a residence permit or for its extension, you may firstly receive a so-called Fiktionsbescheinigungby the Foreigners' Office.

It takes approx. 4-8 weeks for your electronic residence permit (eAT) to be issued, and you will receive this in card format. If your current residence permit is due to run out during this period of time, it is necessary that you receive a temporary residence permit. This is only a temporary document to replace your expired permit until your new electronic residence permit arrives.

There are different types of temporary residence permits. International students usually receive a so-called ‘Fortbestandsfiktion’ (§81.4):
If you have applied to extend your residence permit well enough in advance and are now waiting for your card, you will usually receive a Fortbestandsfiktion, as your old residence permit continues to exist until you receive the new card.

In principle, it is possible to travel with this type of temporary residence permit, and you are permitted to re-enter Germany at any time. Nevertheless, as long as you only possess a temporary residence permit, it is advisable to check with the diplomatic mission (embassy/consulate) of the country you will be visiting, to ensure you will be able to enter and leave the country without any problems.

The costs of issuing a temporary residence permit amount to 20€ for adults. Students gaining a scholarship funded by German fundings do not have to pay the fee.

Please note that the information provided by the RUBiss Team is not legally binding and is not intended to replace or substitute for information provided by professional experts for each individual topic. We recommend you to consult the diplomatic mission or your local Foreign Citizens’ Office for more detailed information on your individual case.

RUBiss Logo

Good to know

A Fiktionsbescheinigung is a temporary document which you will receive if your visa or residence permit is due to expire before the new electronic residence permit (eAT) has been issued.

Foreigners' Office in Bochum

Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-6
44777 Bochum
Tel.:+49 (0) 234 910-15 77
Fax: +49 (0) 234 910-19 94

Office hours
Cost overview

RUBiss Newsletter

Facebook and Instagram

Like us on Facebook and Instagram!


Anna Potreck

Natascha Wulff