FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Organisational Matters
Subject-specific matters

Organisational Matters

Which programmes can I participate in if I want to carry out a semester abroad at RUB?

You can come to RUB within an exchange program (for example Erasmus, DAAD, partnerships), through institutional collaborations such as partner universities or as a freemover. You can view the world map of collaborations by following the link below:

How do I apply for a semester abroad at RUB?

We require a nomination from you home university. Please contact the International Office of your home university. You then need to send us the required documents and as soon as all documents have been submitted you will receive your admission letter to state you have been accepted to carry out a semester abroad at RUB.
Please follow the link for more information:

How can I come to RUB as a free mover?

To study at RUB as a freemover your have to apply. Please find further infotmation here:

When do I receive my admission letter?

As soon as you have sent all the required documents, your admission certificate will be issued and sent to you via e-mail.

When are the application deadlines?

For the following summer semester: 15 December
For the following winter semester: 15 Juni

How do I enrol?

After your arrival in Bochum you will need to enrol personally at the HZO-Building on campus. There you have to provide proof that you have taken out health insurance. You will receive detailed information about time and place of the enrolment by email.


How do I take out health insurance?

If you are from an EU member state you only have to present your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when you enrol. You are then automatically insured and no further action is required.
A provisional replacement certificate will be accepted for the following countries:

  • BH 6: Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • HR/D 111: Croatia
  • TN/A 11: Tunisia
  • JU 6: Serbia and Montenegro
  • T/A 11: Turkey
  • RM/D 111: Macedonia

If you are coming from a different country, you will have to take out a German health insurance policy. There are many different health insurance companies. Student health insurance amounts to approximately €90 per month.

When does the semester start? When does the lecture period begin?

You can find the dates and application deadlines here:

How expensive are the semester contribution fees?

The semester contribution fee is currently around €340. This amount is apportioned. A part of it goes to the Academic Sopprt Group (AKAFÖ) for the cafeteria and dormitories etc., another part goes to the General Students' Comitee (AStA). Furthermore the price of the NRW semester ticket, with which you can use the local public transport in North Rhine-Westphalia, is included.


How much money do I require per month?

You should put aside a monthly sum of approx. €720 for living costs. You have to account for the following costs:
Semester constibution fee: approx. €340 per semester
Health insurance (Non-EU): approx. €90 per month
Rent: approx. €250-350 per month
More information can be found under the following link:

How do I find a flat in Bochum?

The International Office may reserve rooms in the halls of residence for Erasmus students and students from partner universities who are going to stay at RUB for one or two semesters.
The application form for a room can be found here:

What do I have to do after my arrival in Bochum?

After you have arrived in Bochum you need to go to the International Office to take care of all the formalities (enrolment, tenancy agreement etc.).
You also need to register with the City of Bochum and extend your visa if necessary. More information can be found under the following link:

How do I use the Mensa card?

Your student card is also your Mensa card. You can top up your card in the Mensa foyer or at the tills in Mensa and cafeterias and use this card to pay for your food in the Mensa and in the cafeterias. You can also pay cash and only show your student card. When you present your student card at the till or pay with your student card, you will be charged less.


How can I activate the internet in the dormitories / at the university?

The following link provides you with all of the information you need about accessing the internet:

How do I get in contact with other exchange students?

The International Office offers an Orientation Course before every winter semester starts. This is a good opportunity to get to know other exchange students.
There are also many different groups which take care of the exchange students, for example the das Erasmus Student Network (ESN).
The different organisations will be introduced at the "International Welcome" which takes place at the begining of each semester.
You can also visit our website Campus Life.

What is the Orientation Course?

The International Office offers those international students who come to RUB within an exchange programme (e.g. Erasmus) the opportunity to take part in the Orientation Course before every winter semester begins.
More information on the Orientation Course can be found here:

Where can I extend my residence permit?

You need to go to the Foreign Citizens’ Office (Ausländerbüro) at the town hall if you have to extend your visa.

What do I have to do before my departure?

Information regarding your departure can be found under the following link:


Subject-specific matters

Which courses are on offer at Ruhr-Universität Bochum?

You can find an overview of the fields of study and degrees here:

Please note: If you come to RUB as an exchange student you may not be free to select your subject yourself. Please contact us if you are unsure whether you are able to study your particular subject at RUB.

Are the courses at RUB taught in German? How good do my German language skills need to be?

Most courses at RUB are taught in German. You should therefore have a good command of the German language (at least B1) to be able to follow lectures and seminars.
There are also some courses taught in English. Courses taught in English can be found in the international course catalogue. More information:

Does Ruhr-Universität Bochum offer German courses?

Yes, there are German courses during the semester and for students of Ruhr-Universität Bochum they are free of charge. There are also intensive preparatory courses. For those courses you have to pay a fee. Please find further information here:

Nach oben

How do I fill out the learning agreement?

You need to fill in the learning agreement before your arrival in Bochum. Your Erasmus coordinator at your home university will help you. The learning agreement will then be sent to RUB, where it will be signed by your supervisor. Afterwards it will be sent back to you. You require the learning agreement to be able to receive your Erasmus grant.

What are ECTS points?

ECTS stands for "European Credit Transfer System". This system guarantees the comparability of achievements gained in the European Higher Education Area by issuing so called credit points (ECTS credits). These credit points exist to give an indication of the student's average workload per semester or year and do not function as an evaluation of performance.
The ECTS credits are only awarded if courses are successfully completed. This means that all of the relevant exams have to be passed.

How do I find out who my supervisor at RUB is?

If you are an Erasmus student your Erasmus coordinator at your home university will inform you who your RUB supervisor is. If you are a student from a partner university or a free mover we will find a supervisor for you and inform you as soon as one has been allocated to you.

Where can I find the schedule for the classes?

The schedule can be found here:

How do I register for courses?

You can register for most of the courses using the online system Campus Office. More information can be found here:



Before Arrival

After Arrival

Before Arrival

Which dorms and which types of rooms are available?

The International Office has some rooms in the AKAFÖ halls of residence. We offer three types: Apartment (own kitchen, own bathroom)

  • Stiepeler Str. 71a
  • Laerholzstr. 17/19
  • Eulenbaumstr. 245-251
  • Erlenkamp, Markstr. 105
  • Querenburger Höhe 97-100

Room in a shared flat (a single room in a flat where 2-4 people share a kitchen and bathroom)

  • Europahaus, Spechtsweg 14-18
  • Grunewald/Markstr. 137
  • Erlenkamp, Markstr. 105

Single room (12 People have separate rooms along a corridor, sharing a kitchen and bathroom)

  • Laerholzstr. 80
  • Hegge-Kolleg, Glücksburger Str. 27-4

You can find further information on the different halls of residence here:

Furthermore there are some flats in a dorm, that are assigned by RUB directly. The whole dorm is newly renovated by autumn 2013 and you can now move in. The flats are shared by three people with single rooms for each resident and a shared kitchen and basthroom.

  • Uni-Forum, Querenburger Höhe 293

How do I apply for a room?

You receive the "Accommodation Request Form" from us by email. Fill it out and send it back to us.

Can I choose where I want to live?

You can state a preference on the "Accommodation Request Form". We will try to satisfy your wish but it is not always possible.


How and when do I find out which accommodation I've been given?

After we booked a room for you we’ll send you a booking confirmation via email. This is approx. six weeks prior to your arrival. Please confirm the receipt of the email, transfer the deposit of the amount of two months’ rent within 4 week and print the booking confirmation. Please note that the booking confirmation is only binding after we have received the deposit.

How do I get my key?

You can pick up your key at the caretaker’s office in your hall of residence. The office is open on working days between 9:00am and 11:00am and is located in the entrance area. The caretaker's name and mobile phone number will be on your booking confirmation.

How can I get my key if I arrive after 11 o’clock?

Somebody else can pick your key up for you. This person needs your booking confirmation. ESN Bochum (Erasmus Student Network) offers a pick-up service at the beginning of the semester. You can apply for this service online: ESN

When can I move into my room?

The earliest possible date you can move in is written on your booking confirmation. It is not possible to move in earlier (as the room will be cleaned before your arrival) but you can move in later of course .

Do I have to pay anything before I come to Bochum?

Yes, you will need to pay the deposit of two months’ rent within 4 weeks after having received the confirmation of reservation as the reservation is only binding after we have received your deposit. The rent can be paid after your arrival in Bochum.

Are pets allowed in the halls of residence?

No, pets are not allowed.

Am I allowed to have guests in my room?

Yes, you are allowed to have guests for an overnight-stay but not permanent! Please inform your caretaker in advance.

What is provided in the rooms?

All the rooms are furnished. Information about the halls of residence can be seen here:

You can rent bedding for your room, but no towels. There is usually no equipment in the kitchens. However the former tenants may have left some kitchen appliances. We recommend you not to bring too many kitchen appliances. You can buy anything in Bochum.


After arrival

How do I pay my rent?

If your home country is belonging to the SEPA countries and allowing foreign bank direct debiting your account (please check before you are leaving), can we direct debit your home bank account with the monthly rent. Otherwise do you first have to open a German bank account. After signing your tenancy agreement at the accommodation office, your bank account will automatically be debited for the amount of your rent every month. The debit day is the 5th day of each month. The first rent has to be paid by bank transfer by yourself within the first month of your arrival. The account number is indicated on the second page of your tenancy agreement.

How much is the deposit and how do I pay it?

The deposit is equal to two months’ rent and has to be transferred in advance. You will receive the IBAN and BIC/SWIFT-Code together with your confirmation of reservation.

How can I rent bedding?

Bedding can be provided for 4 euros per month. You have to wash the bedding yourself. However you can return it unclean at the end of your stay. The costs for bedding are deducted from your deposit at the end of your stay.


How can I extend my tenancy agreement or end it earlier?

Both the extension and shortening of the tenancy period have to be done two months in advance by the end of the month. In both cases please come to our office. The shortening (cancellation) has to be done in written form.

Can I change the room?

Usually it's not possible to change your room. However we can make an exception in special cases if we have rooms available. If you want to change your room please come to our office to explain why.

Please note: If you move we will book a half month's rent twice. You will pay for your new room from the beginning of the month and your old room until the middle of the same month, so you will have two weeks to organise your moving.

How long can I stay in my room?

The maximum duration of stay in the rooms of the International Office is one year.

How can I access Internet?

To go online in your dormitory, you have to activate your data first. This works at a RUB- computer with a card-reader (e.g. in the library, UV/ administration building etc.):
Put your student card into the card-reader and enter your Benutzername/loginID and PIN that you have received with your enrolment documents. The PIN can be found on a separate sheet.
Go to „Passwort zu loginID setzen“ and set a passwort. You can choose it yourself. You need this passwort for Internet-access and your RUB-e-mail-account.
The data will be active approx. 1 hour later.
For internet access at the dormitory you need a network cable. Connect your computer and go to the webpage of the Rechenzentrum. Register with your loginID and passwort.

Where can I find Information about the Internet access and whom can I contact if problems occur?

Further information can be found here Internet Access

What do I have to do when I move out?

Please make an appointment with the caretaker ten days before you are due to move out. He will inspect your room on the day you move out and write an “acceptance protocol”. You need to give the keys back to the caretaker afterwards. As the appointment with the caretaker is between 9 and 12 we recommend you to book a flight in the afternoon rather than in the morning.

Is it possible to pay less rent if I move in later or move out earlier?

No, it is not. A full month's rent has to be paid each month. The only exception is if you move in in mid-September or mid-March at the beginning of the semester.

What can I do if I have to leave early in the morning and can’t be present during the caretaker’s inspection?

You can authorize a friend to be present at the inspection on your behalf. In order for your friend to be able to get your deposit, you should issue a written authorization. The authorization has show your name, the address of your dormitory and the name of your friend. It has to be signed by you.

How do I get my deposit back?

Please come and bring “Wohnungsübergabeprotokoll” to the Accommodation office (SSC 1/223). There you will receive a check with your deposit and you can immediately cash it at the Sparkasse in the Uni-Center. Please note that you will need to show an ID-Card/passport. If another person is collecting the check for you, this person needs an written authorization.

Is it possible to get my deposit transferred to a bank account abroad?

Yes it is. Bank transfers within Europe are free of charge. A fee has to be paid for transfers outside Europe. This fee will be deducted from your deposit. You need to give us the IBAN and SWIFT/BIC code for a transfer to a foreign account.